The ventilation and air renewal of a home in times of pandemic is an issue that concerns us all. But we really are doing it rightn?
Eliminate excess accumulated CO2, avoid allergies, stop the spread of viruses In these times of pandemic or during winter, ventilating the house for a few minutes is insufficient to maintain a completely clean and virus-free air..
So how long should I air the rooms how can we know if they are already well aerateddas?
With the help of a CO2 detector at home.
Let's see why ventilation is so important in a house, how we should ventilate it and where we can locate a CO2 detector to correctly check the air quality of a home.
¿Why is it so important to ventilate the house?
When a home is not well ventilated, there are many negative consequences that can result. A poorly ventilated room favors, among others:
- The spread of germs and bacteria;
- Power dips;
- Difficulty to sleep;
- Intensify respiratory problems;
According to the data of theEnvironmental Protection Agency EPAA), one VPoor ventilation in a home can significantly increase the concentration of pollutants such as CO2 or carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide that some foods, appliances, humidity in the bathroom, pet hair, etc. usually generate.
For all this, to reduce the concentrations of air pollutants in closed spaces and benefit the good health of the people who live in a home, the indoor air must be frequently renewed by outdoor air.
¿How much a house should be ventilated in winter?
For proper ventilation of a home during winter, a good way is to open several windows to communicate the air for at least 5 minutes several times a day. Thus you ensure a complete air exchange throughout the rooms and corners of the house.
For this renovation of the air of the space, you can use:
- Natural ventilation, such as windows and doors;
- Mechanical means, such as external air inlets;
- Infiltration, where outside air enters the home through joints and cracks in walls, floors, and around windows and doors.
To improve indoor air quality through natural ventilation, it is normal to open doors and windows and lower blinds for shade.
Ventilation in times of COVID-19
In the midst of a pandemic, the general rule we were talking about to ventilate the house for at least 5 minutes is insufficient for a correct cleaning of the air and the home.
To effectively renew the air in times of COVID-19, it is recommended to ventilate all the rooms in the house, with special emphasis on those in which more people are concentrated, at least for about 10 minutes, three or four times a day.
¿How to ventilate the house during confinement?
The best way to do the ventilation is in a cross way, that is, opening the windows that are opposite so that the air flows and it is renewed more easily.
The key moments in which it is recommended to carry out this action are:
- When we get up in the morning. While we sleep, we generate and accumulate a high concentration of CO2. Therefore, it should be ventilated for at least 20 minutes, especially the rooms.
- Before eating, air the rooms about 10 minutes, especially where we have spent most of the morning living room, rooms. In addition, it is a good time for the sun to enter through the windows and eliminate moisture, mites and other bacteria.as.
- After eating, It is time to ventilate the kitchen to remove moisture and particles generated when cooking.
- Before bedtime.We should ventilate the bedrooms for another 10 minutes, so that they have clean air that helps to fall asleep.
Also, with the help of aCO2 detector at home, we can know at all times the levels of carbon dioxide concentration so that,at the time of reaching a high concentration, ventilates the house by opening windows and doors.
¿How is a house ventilated if there is a person infected with COVID-19?
In the event that there is a COVID-19 infected while being confined at home, good ventilation of the room is essential, since it can worsen the respiratory symptoms of the virus.
For this, it is most advisable that the room where the person is staying with an exit or window to the outside where it can have good ventilation that allows it to renew the air and the environment.
¿How can I help protect my family with a CO2 detector at home?
A CO2 meter is an intelligent, small and portable device that detects and shows us the ppm values of the air in a space. When the concentration of carbon dioxide is high, it alerts us so that we can ventilate the house by opening windows and / or doors.
In the case of AirGuardian, the air quality meter has an application from which we can constantly control the levels of various spaces or bedrooms, as well as send us notifications in case of exceeding high levels of CO2.
Here you can seehow an air quality meter works.
¿What is the price of a CO2 meter?
If you are looking for a cheap CO2 meter for home, you can easily find it at different prices online. For example, himAirGuardian CO2 meter available for 189 euros with taxes included. Now also with free shipping.
¿Where to locate a CO2 detector at home?
To detect CO2 levels, it is best to install it close to the ground, to ensure that when it warns us of a high level of carbon dioxide, it has not yet reached the normal level of respiration.
Forlocate a CO2 detector at home correctly, you should avoid:
- Install it inside a piece of furniture.
- Always keep away from ventilation elements such as doors and windows.
- Place on each floor of the house if you have several.
- Avoid locating it in an area where the temperature drops below -10C or exceeds 40C.C.
- Avoid damp or wet places such as near the shower, the area where we cook…
AirGuardianAs it is a small and handy CO2 meter, it can be located in different areas of the house, but it should always be away from drafts, areas with dirt, humidity or inside furniture.